Pages

Friday, February 15, 2013

Week 23- Valentine's Day

In chemistry this week we have been learning about acids and bases. Of course, I have a song for that. So here is the song we sang all week!



Untitled


We used iodine and BTB to test the powders we have been using in our chemistry unit.

Untitled


Untitled


Untitled


Untitled

Iodine is a starch indicator and turns black if starch is present in the powder.

Untitled

BTB (Bromthymol Blue) is a pH indicator. The powder turns blue if it is a base and yellow if it is an acid.

Untitled

Today we mixed up our mystery powders and the kids will use their notes next week to try to determine the two powders that were mixed together.

Fifth grade teachers went to a math workshop this week and we talked about using beans and pasta to make fraction plates. So Mrs. Reasner came up with the idea of using Valentine's candy to create plates of fractions.

Untitled

In math small groups, the kids selected up to 20 pieces of candy to glue to their plates.

Untitled

Then they had to write a fraction for each kind of candy they had on their plates. I challenged them to write the fractions in simplest form so it wouldn't be as easy to find their plate later. Here are just a couple of the plates that were created.

Untitled

Untitled

I found this Criminal Cupid activity on Teachers Pay Teachers. My kids loved it! I read the story to them and they each took notes about how the criminal looked. Then they were the sketch artist and had to create a picture of the criminal.

Untitled

I also asked them to write a short paragraph about what happened. I let them decide if they would tell the story from the point of view of the criminal, the witness, or Cupid.

Untitled

Untitled

STUDENTS: We have a lot of songs that we sing in class to help you learn things. What is your favorite song so far? It can't be a brain break song, it must be a song that we have used to learn something in the classroom. Don't forget to use a 7 up sentence for a bonus ticket. Sentences start with a capital letter and end with some type of punctuation.

6 comments:

  1. My favorite song is the premble of the constion.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My favorite song is the cells one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My favorite song is Mr. Lee Layers of the Atmosphere.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My favorite song we did in the classroom is crust in mantle by Mr.Lee.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks fun Mrs. White wish I was still there ♥

    ReplyDelete
  6. I remember doing this! I miss this class so much.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments. Students, make sure to answer the question of the week to earn your ticket for the good job jar. If you have trouble posting your comment just e-mail it to me and I'll post it for you.